Sunday, June 30, 2024

Haiku - more than simply counting syllables

Haiku - my first YouTube livestream

My first YouTube livestream was the other day and I covered the Japanese poetry form known as Haiku. (For anyone who wants to watch it before I go on with the rest of this post, check it out here:


Haiku isn't about counting syllables 

When I was first taught about Haiku (elementary or middle school), it was done as a way to learn about syllables - those little sound bits inside a word (syllable is a 3-syllable word (syl-a-ble) while rush has 1 syllable and working (work-ing) has 2). In fact, Haiku is all about capturing a moment in time using only a few impactful and imagination-inspiring words.

Haiku Inspiration

An event dX Live holds every week is Open Mic - a chance to talk art, writing, and creativity - and to work on our own projects together. For anyone looking for a prompt, we provide it! And this particular image and word prompt provided inspiration for me in spades.

Prompt word = Blossom


The First (then Many)

I spent some time looking at the image, trying to find a way to capture what I was seeing and feeling inside a Haiku format. After a few halting attempts, I wrote this, in an attempt to capture the warm tones in the flower contrasting with the cool ones of the forest and water:

Warm pool within cool

Puff pink frames pollen yellow

A splash of color


It was as if, by writing this first poem, I could more easily focus on other aspects of the scene:

 

Prepared for suitors

Pink gown drapes welcomingly

Breeze-ready allure


Canopy draped pool

Reluctant light seeps through

Fragile pink blushes


Pollen covered stars

Constellations in the sun 

Heavens shine below


They shoot forth eager

Donors to life’s mystery 

Surround she who waits


Plain lines drape down

Unimpressive utility

No wonder fish jump


It had never occurred to me to approach a scene like this - to write from several vantage points and emphasize different aspects. But count me as inspired to continue this exercise!

~ Parz




No comments:

Post a Comment

Aleesha here!!!

 This is what I wrote during Parz's live on YouTube today. The topic was patterns...  Bending deep and low Reaching as balance shifts… D...